Comic books and graphic novels course
I’m signing up for the free university course in graphic novel appreciation run over the web by University of Colarado Boulder through Coursera and wanted to check which of the readings are available through the Gold Coast Library Service. If you are also going to be following the course, please comment, so that we can get a local group together.
The course’s outline of readings are as below. The lecturers have picked some items which are difficult for libraries to keep (coffee table books, boxed kits of books) but our coverage of books in codex format is really good.
- Marvel Visionaries: Jack Kirby by Jack Kirby
- Jack Cole and Plastic Man: Forms Stretched to Their Limits by Art Spiegelman and Chip Kidd
- Marvel Firsts: The 1960s by Stan Lee (et.al.)
- Foul Play!: The Art and Artists of the Notorious 1950s E.C. Comics by Grant Geissman
- Maus by Art Spiegelman
- Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi
- Fun Home: A Family Tragicomic by Alison Bechdel.
- The Dark Knight Returns by Frank Miller
- Sin City: The Hard Goodbye by Frank Miller (We have it as part of Sin City: Family Values.)
- Sandman, Vol 3: Dream Country by Neil Gaiman (et.al.)
- Watchmen by Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons
- Palestine by Joe Sacco
- Ultimates 1: Ultimate Collection and Ultimates 2: Ultimate Collection by Mark Millar and Bryan Hitch. (We have these in their earlier form as Ultimates: Super Human, Ulimates: Homeland Security, Ultimates: Gods and Monsters, and Ultimates: Grand Theft America.)
- Building Stories by Chris Ware
See you on the class message boards!