February online ebook club – ‘My sister’s keeper’ by Jodi Picoult
This month our online ebook club is reading My sister’s keeper by Jodi Picoult. This thought-provoking novel is set around the life of the Fitzgerald family. Kate Fitzgerald has suffered from Leukemia since childhood and her younger sister Anna was conceived as a bone marrow match for Kate. Anna suffers from blood transfusions and bone marrow transplants throughout her young life to help keep Kate alive. When Anna is asked to donate her kidney to Kate, she visits a Lawyer to seek medical emancipation from her parents. What follows is an account of the way that act tears the characters apart and reveals their raw persona’s. It raises some serious ethical questions. You can download the ebook from Overdrive.
Here are some discussion starters:
1. Do you think Brian and Sara were justified in their actions? Could you sympathise with either one of them?
2. Do you think Anna’s decision in the book was the right one?
3. The movie has a completely different ending from the book. Which ending did you prefer?
4. The book has suffered some criticism for having a great premise and poor execution. Do you agree with this?
5. Overall, what would you rate the book on a scale of 1 to 5?