April online ebook club – Life of Pi by Yann Martel
This month’s online ebook club read is Life of Pi by Yann Martel. This bestselling novel follows the story of a sixteen year-old boy named Pi, who, following the tragic sinking of a cargo ship in which his family were killed, is stuck on a lifeboat with a Hyena, Zebra, Orang-Utan and a 450-pound Bengal Tiger. Pi explores issues of spirituality and belief whilst trying to survive the 27-day boat journey.
Here are some discussion questions to give you something to think about:
1. In the author’s note, Mr Adirubassamy claims that the story will make you believe in God. After reading the novel, have your beliefs about God been altered or strengthened? What is the most pivotal thing you took from the book? Was it life-changing in any way?
2. The author has said that Chapters 21 and 22 are at the core of the novel. Can you see how?
3. At the beginning of the novel Pi defends Zoos. Do you agree with his logic?
4. Which version of Pi’s story do you believe?
5. The book has also been made into a movie. Have you seen it and if so, how do you think the two compare?
You can download the ebook from Overdrive using your library user ID and 4-digit PIN. I hope you enjoy the book this month. I’d love to know what you think