June online ebook club – The Secret Keeper by Kate Morton
In this month’s online ebook club, we will be looking at historical fiction with Kate Morton’s The secret keeper.
The secret keeper begins in 1961, when 16-year-old Laurel Nicholson sits in her childhood treehouse at a family party, dreaming of the future. Before the afternoon is over, Laurel witnesses a shocking crime which haunts her into adulthood. 50 years later, Laurel seizes the opportunity to return to her family home and piece together a secret history. This is the history of 3 people brought together in wartime London, whose lives becomes fatefully entwined.
Here are some discussion questions to help you get started:
1. Did you find any moral ambiguity in Dorothy’s actions? Do you think she had a choice?
2. Do you think the characters lived the lives they deserved?
3. Did you expect the ending?
4. Do you think Laurel is justified in seeking out her mother’s hidden secrets?
5. Did you prefer to follow Laurel’s story or the stories of Dorothy, Jimmy and Vivien?
6. Did you learn something new from the novel?
I’d love to hear your thoughts on this novel.
Or is there another historical fiction novel that you’d recommend?