September online ebook club – Tracks by Robyn Davidson
This month we’re reading Tracks by Robyn Davidson for our online ebook club.
You may recall the movie ‘Tracks’ being released at the cinema early in 2014. This is the true story of Robyn Davidson, a woman who walked from Alice Springs to the West Australian coast in the 70’s with 3 camels and her dog in tow. Davidson originally had no intentions of writing about her journey however she was sponsored by National Geographic to write an article (see our National Geographic archives to find the original article) and eventually published a book.
Davidson’s story covers both the 2 years she spent in Alice Springs preparing for her trip as well as the journey itself. She describes the people she met along the way, her relationships, her need to be alone and the way in which she changed throughout the journey.
Tracks can be downloaded from our ebook service, Borrow Box.
Here are some discussion questions to get you started:
1. Why do you think Robyn Davidson undertook such a dangerous and lonely journey? Do you understand her motives?
2. Can you relate to Davidson’s character and her need to be alone?
3. What did you think of the book compared to the movie?
4. What are your thoughts on the way the indigenous population was treated?
5. Did you learn anything valuable from the book?
I’d love to hear your thoughts in the comments below.