October online ebook club – Tommy’s War by Richard van Emden
In the spirit of ‘Keeping it real’ (our current reader’s season theme) this month’s online ebook club book of the month is a book about WWI as told through the stories and photographs of the soldiers on the western front. Rather than describe the history of the war, Tommy’s War tells the soldier’s story through a compilation of letters, diary entries and unofficial photographs. The book represents the good, the bad and at times even the humorous side of life on the front line.
Here are some questions to help get the discussion started:
1. Did the book give you a better understanding of WWI, even though it isn’t a formal history book?
2. Were there any stories or photographs that you felt a particular connection with?
3. Was there anything that surprised you about the stories and photographs? Did you learn anything new?
4. Did you think this was a good representation of the soldier’s war?
5. Are the any other books about the subject that you’d personally recommend?
You can download Tommy’s War from our ebook site, Overdrive.
I hope you enjoy this month’s ebook and I’d love to hear what you think in the comments below.