February Online ebook club: Wild by Cheryl Strayed
I recently had a conversation about this book with a family member who warned me against reading it, describing the central character in very unflattering terms. Naturally, I had to read this and thought that it might make for some interesting discussion for our online ebook club.
Wild is Cheryl Strayed’s true account of hiking the Pacific Crest Trail following the death of her mother and the breakdown of her marriage. Strayed decides to travel solo with virtually no long-distance hiking experience but a desire to piece together her life and rediscover who she is again.
The story has been described as both inspirational and self-absorbed. What do you think?
Here are some questions to get the discussion started:
1. Do you think Strayed should have been travelling alone with limited hiking experience?
2. Do you think Strayed could have changed her life without this journey?
3. What do you think of the infamous ‘horse scene’? Does it convey Strayed as an unforgivable person or a flawed but honest woman?
4. Was there any particular part of the book that resonated with you?
5. Have you ever undertaken a similar journey or rediscovery? Did you find you could relate to Strayed’s story?
You can download the ebook from One Click Digital. I look forward to hearing your thoughts.