May online ebook club: the art of hearing heartbeats
This month we are reading The Art of Hearing Heartbeats by Jan-Philip Sendker. This is a story about the resiliance of the human heart.
A successful New York lawyer disappears without a trace and the only clue as to his whereabouts lies in a love letter he wrote to a Burmese woman many years before. His daughter Julia, intent on solving the mystery of her father’s disappearance travels to the Burmese woman’s village. There she uncovers a life-changing story of hardship and passion.
Here are some discussion questions to get you started:
1. The story is told using a mix of narratives. Do you think this style enhanced the story?
2. In the story two of the characters share the same disability. Do you think this contributed to the strength of their relationship?
3. Some of the novel is in the form of letters. Did this interfere with the flow of the story?
4. Was there a particular character you connected with the most?
5. What does the novel tell you about love – both romantic and familial?
I look forward to hearing your thoughts. You can download The Art of Hearing Heartbeats from One Click digital.