August Online ebook Club – The Shallows by Nicholas Carr
In The Shallows Nicholas Carr draws on some of the latest research to show that while the Internet has brought us many positive benefits, its very nature has affected our ability to think in-depth. Carr argues that it has changed the way we live, communicate, socialise and remember. It has even affected our own self-conception.
Here are some questions you might like to consider when reading the book:
1. Do you agree with Carr’s proposition? Why or why not?
2. Do you find the rise of the Internet has profoundly impacted your day to day life, either positively or negatively?
3. Do you think Carr’s research sufficiently proves his point or did you find there were some gaps?
4. Do you think there is a solution to the issues raised by Carr, or do you think they are a part of our natural evolution?
5. Have your changed your own Internet use since reading the book?
You can download the The Shallows from One Click Digital.