October Online ebook club: Dracula By Bram Stoker
It’s the month of Halloween and so naturally our October online ebook club selection has to be a horror novel. And so this month’s book is Dracula by Bram Stoker.
Dracula tells the story of a young lawyer, Jonathan Harker, who is held hostage in Count Dracula’s castle. He escapes after a series of horrifying events and returns to England. Dracula also travels to England and pursues Harker, Harker’s fiance and her friends. With help from Professor Abraham van Helsing, Dracula is chased back to his castle where a final battle takes place.
I feel like I’ve grown up knowing all about Dracula through movies (both horror and comedy), other Vampire novels and media references so I’m really looking forward to reading the original story that spawned a vampire cult in our media.
Here are some discussion questions you might like to think about when you read the novel:
1. The story is told as a series of letters, journal entries and newspaper clippings. Do you think this enhanced the story? Or do you think it would have been better told as a first person narrative?
2. Do you find yourself feeling sorry for Dracula at any point in the novel?
3. What are the most surprising differences between the book and the stream of Dracula movies and media?
4. Do you think subsequent Vampire novels have improved on this novel? How has the concept of the vampire changed in modern times?
5. Count Dracula’s actions and thirst for blood are closely tied to seduction and sexual desire. What do you think the author is trying to tell us? Are there any hidden meanings?
You can download Dracula from One Click Digital.
I look forward to hearing your thoughts about this month’s book.