On the 7th day of reading…
On the 7th day of reading my library gave to me…
seven books for self-help.
It’s easy for some of us to get caught up in the ho-ho-ho jolliness of the festive season. But it’s not a happy time for everyone and the stresses of social expectations, family, food guilt, alcohol, money and more can take their toll.
If you’re on the Gold Coast you’re very welcome to come to a session at Elanora Branch Library today, 1pm – 2.30pm, to chat about coping with depression with someone from Partners in Recovery Gold Coast. If you need help with managing stress join empowerment coach Lynda Petterwood at Broadbeach Branch Library on Wednesday 13 January, 10.30am – 11.30am, or the good folk from Mental Illness Fellowship Queensland at Robina Branch Library on Thursday 28 January, 10am – 11.30am.
Meanwhile, here are seven recommendations for books and resources that might be helpful.
1. Smashing Depression: Escaping the Prison and Finding a Life by Terence Watts
2. Out of the Blue: Six Non-medication Ways to Relieve Depression by Bill O’Hanlon
3. Killing the Black Dog by Les Murray
4. A Year of Living Mindfully: week-by-week mindfulness meditations for a more contented and fulfilled life by Anna Black
5. Living in balance : a mindful guide for thriving in a complex world by Joel Levey
Keep an eye out for our new reading lists in your local branch library.
Not on the Gold Coast? You can still check out the lists below:
6. Mood boosting books
Please share your recommendations for great self-help books in the comments below.