Landline book club discussion questions
**Please be aware that book discussion questions may contain spoilers.**
This is light entertainment but enjoyable reading for the Christmas break when you may not be able to concentrate on a more intricate plot.
Georgie is staying in Los Angeles while her husband Neal and her two daughters have gone to Omaha for Christmas. No-one is especially happy with this arrangement, but Georgie and Seth, her writing partner, have found a producer interested in creating the TV series they have been writing and talking about since college. However, instead of spending the week concentrating on writing, Georgie cannot stop thinking about her marriage and where things have gone wrong. The old yellow landline phone in her childhood home magically connects Georgie to the Neal she knew in 1998 when they were young and first in love, and Georgie wonders if this link with the past will give her the chance to fix what is wrong in her marriage.
Book discussion questions:
- Did you like the book or not? At which point in the story did you decide this? What influenced your decision?
- Did you enjoy ‘Landline’? Do you feel that it is possible to find a book interesting without enjoying it?
- Do you think you may have enjoyed this book more or less if you had read it when you were younger, or perhaps waited until you were older to read it?
- Do the characters seem real and believable? How are they changed by the events of the story? Do their responses to the events of the story seem believable to you?
- Imagine you are in a similar situation to Georgie. How do you think you would respond? Would you make different choices?
- What kind of future do you see for these characters, if the story were to continue? Would you have created a different ending for Georgie and Neal?
- If you could change something about this story, what would it be and why?
- Describe what you liked or disliked about the writing style of Rainbow Rowell.
- Does this book inspire you to read more books by Rainbow Rowell?
- If you could ask Rainbow Rowell a question, what would you ask her?